At Walmart, we believe retail jobs, which are widely accessible, can be a first step up the career ladder—but only if they are accompanied by effective training.
Self Employed Women’s Association (SEWA)
- With support from the Walmart Foundation, the Global Fairness Initiative (GFI) and the Self-Employed Women's Association (SEWA) have launched a robust program to deliver high-value, opportunity–driven training in retail sales and management.
- Tailored to employment in the retail sector, and rooted in SEWA’s highly regarded life skills training methodology, the Retail Opportunity Training Initiative (ROTI) is certificate-level instruction designed to help bridge the opportunity gap between India’s underemployed women and the country’s fastest growing economic sector.
- The Retail Opportunity Training Initiative’s goals are to:
- Develop and deliver a world class, certificate-level curriculum on Retail Sales and Management emphasizing essential technical and “life skills” necessary for full and successful employment
- Create a center for excellence in retail sector leadership and employment within the highly regarded SEWA Management Ni School
- Matriculate and graduate women trained and empowered for a career in retail sales and supported by a robust job placement platform aimed at promoting women, and placing women certificate holders, in India’s organized retail sector
- The program was able to reach more than 14,000 women trained in retail sales and management
Rural Education and Development (READ) India
- Walmart India and READ (Rural Education and Development) India partnered on a socio-economic empowerment program for 2,600 women in Geejgarh and surrounding villages of Dausa district in Rajasthan.
- Women underwent training in sewing, stitching, apparel management, eco-tourism, beauty culture etc. enabling them with income-generating and self-employment opportunities.
- A special resource center called the Sewing and Production Center with 100 sewing machines was dedicated to the women participants, which they can use for training or for sewing assignments. Women will form their own committee to use the center.