As the coronavirus (COVID-19) situation continues to evolve in India, we know it is a priority for our members, partners and associates to get an understanding of what we are doing to ensure their continued wellbeing. We have a critical role to play in the community at this point and we take that most seriously.
Walmart India has taken a series of measures in the wake of the current situation. Our two main priorities are ensuring the safety and security of our associates as well as the members who purchase from our stores, and the continued provision of essential items to our members in the community.
SAFETY OF ASSOCIATES AND MEMBERS
Walmart India is deeply sensitive to the need for social distancing at this time. The wellbeing of our associates is our top priority right now. Here are some of the steps we have taken at our India Support Center:
- Sharing a series of advisories with specific guidelines on hygiene, travel and medical assistance.
- Associates at the India Support Center have been advised to work from home.
- Sharing tips on best practices and a detailed guide on how to remotely connect to corporate networks, data sharing and virtual meetings to enable them to work from home.
- A dedicated helpline is operational from 9 am to 6 pm and a service desk e-mail ID along with a toll-free number has also been activated to support associates working from home.
Walmart India has also already implemented comprehensive measures for safety and hygiene in order to best serve the members of our Best Price Stores:
- Setting up of hand-washing stations at the entry of stores as well as multiple hand sanitizer stations across each store.
- Stores are also equipped with contactless thermometers for conducting temperature checks.
- Entry is barred for those detected with fever.
- High-touch surfaces of our stores are being regularly cleaned with disinfectant.
- We are ensuring safe distance between members who are visiting the stores for purchase and our associates operating the cash tills.
PROVISION OF ESSENTIAL ITEMS
We are undertaking the following measures to ensure we continue to serve small businesses and cater to their needs during these times:
- We maintain control over the number of members at our premises in order to maintain safe distance.
- We have urged our members to shop during non-rush hours and take advantage of our omni-channel presence by shopping online at the Best Price app and website and getting orders home-delivered. This will decrease chances of physical contact and help reduce the spread of the virus.
- We are constantly in touch with our supplier partners to ensure adequate stocking at our Best Price stores.
- Members of our stores are now buying more items across categories like personal care and hygiene as well as a few staples and processed food. We are working towards identifying future bottlenecks, if they arise, to ensure supply chains remain intact and we continue to help meet consumer needs during this outbreak.
- We have also onboarded new suppliers for hand sanitizers to ensure adequate stocks for our members.
YOUR SAFETY OUR PRIORITY
We continue to monitor the situation and keep a watch on what’s happening locally, around our stores. Our business operations and policies will be adjusted as needed. We are doing everything we can to provide a safe shopping experience for our members and a healthy environment for our associates and communities.